** INSTRUCTIONS FOR COMMITMENTS WITH PRIOR APPROVAL FROM LUCKY DOG REFUGE ONLY **
All dogs transporting to Lucky Dog Refuge MUST complete the following vetting and behavioral requirements PRIOR to departure.
- Up to date on all core vaccines (Rabies, DHPP), PLUS Bordatella - including a minimum of 2 rounds of shots for puppies (3 preferred).
- 4DX test for Heartworm or Tick-Borne Illnesses; please send proof of results.
- Begin dogs on flea & tick and heartworm prevention immediately. Please note the dates administered on the dog’s records.
- Fecal at first vet appointment plus aggressive parasite treatment or deworming as needed.
- Clean fecal required within a week of transport.
- All dogs over 6 months old MUST be spayed or neutered.
- IF HW+ ONLY: Start doxycycline and Heartguard (prevention must contain Ivermectin). All HW+ dogs MUST have at least started Doxy prior to travel. We will perform the Immiticide treatment in Connecticut.
- Health Certificate must be obtained within 30 days of the confirmed transport date and a photograph sent to LDR in advance.
- A copy of ALL medical records must accompany the dog AND be sent to Lucky Dog Refuge in advance. Please be sure the records include the RESULT of the HW/4DX test (not just that a test was preformed.)
- Evaluation Form must be submitted as soon as possible but NO LATER THAN 4 days prior to departure.
- Supporting videos (detailed below under Video Assessments) are extremely helpful in placement of the dog.
- Scroll down for additional Puppy Protocols.
If any items are missing, the dog’s intake will be cancelled or postponed.